Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Passing Reality/ Passing Fiction

Of all of the things we have read this semester, nothing has connected with me, nothing has spoken to me, nothing has-to borrow a turn of phrase from Dr. Pelle-paralyzed me in the way that Dorothy Allison's memoir did. Now I don't say that to belittle any of the other pieces and works that we have read. Les Feinberg's and Cheryl Chase's works (just to name a few that stuck with me) are amazing and so crucial and the other issues, ranging from those that blur the lines between gender/queer theory to those that we've learned most recently about the horrific working/living conditions in Juarez, Mexico, have opened my mind, my eyes, and my heart to issues that I would not have encountered-at least not to this extent-had I not been in this class. But Allison's words are the ones that speak to me the most. I adore reading...it's been a favorite hobby of mine since I was old enough to read, yet never in all the years that I've been taking in prose has a book so spoken to me. Though I adore the works of incredible writers like Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, and Thomas Harris, I've never felt that a book was somehow put there for me to read when I truly needed it, when it would be the most influential on me, until I read Two or Three Things I Know for Sure.
"Two or three things I know, two or three things I know for sure, and one of them is that to go on living I have to tell stories, that stories are the one sure way I know to touch the heart and change the world." -Dorothy Allison, pg. 72

I've had an urge to do more than read, to actually add my voice to the world of writing, for a little over fifteen years now. Creative writing is my major, the career in which I've wanted to pursue, in one fashion or another, for all these years, and the way in which I hope to someday support my family and even inspire others. Lofty ambition, no? But in the pursuit of this dream, I come to a chance here to tackle a memoir. I seek the importance of telling a story and what it means to tell that story to others. I've never thought much about telling my own story before, though I am fully cognizant to the fact that there is a story there to be told. Inevitably, I've always felt that the characters I create in my fiction are far more interesting than myself.
And it is to this extent that I reach a rather interesting quandary in my choice for the final project. My decision is to write a memoir-or at least a fair portion of one-but I'm stuck as to whether I should tell my own story or if I should present that of a character that I've been working with for a few years and wish to explore more. Am I truly ready to recount some of the darker stories of my own past while I dwelve into some of the tales of wonderful people and places that have made me into the woman that sits in class with you twice a week? "There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds." (Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral's Kiss) It is dangerous, but perhaps not impossible. Or would it be better, mayhaps safer, to relay the experiences of my character, which are in many ways vastly more tragic but staggering in their intrigue than my own?
With either option, I seek the purpose of two things: to show that we are all individual examples of intersectionality and to open a space for dialogue. Just as Allison's story has connected with me and gave me the courage to start dealing some of my own issues, I would love to give that chance for someone else. It is my hope that either story can touch a heart, reach a mind, and give them the knowledge that they are not alone. That we all have the right to our voice, our story, that we all share equal place of darkness and light, and that there is no one clear definition of "normal". Of course, while the character's memoir would be pure creation that must be able to "pass" as reality, it's important to remember that my own story can just as easily be ruled as fiction. Afterall, it is only one point of view on a series of events.
I welcome all constructive suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. Your project sounds really exciting! I liked the ideas that came up about blending the voices! I feel like for me memoirs are so powerful. They can be great instruments of change because they have been lived. They are simultaneously awe inspiring and motivating! I think your project is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Michelle's comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for your project! I love the idea of writing a memoir similar to Dorothy Allison's. As Michelle said, I really like the idea of having two voices in the memoir. That way you can have intertwining of feelings and emotions in the memoir. One of the stories may affect a reader differently than the other, which could allow for different reactions to the memoir. It can let each person have a different perspective.

    The idea of expressing the intersectionality in your memoir is a great idea. It allows for a multitude of readers and thoughts. Expressing this could allow for your readers to connect to the story and realize that they aren't alone in the world. It allows them to feel like if someone else has been able to make it through a certain situation then they will be able to get through it too. Similar to how you felt when you read Dorothy Allison's memoir.

    My only suggestion is to make sure that you feel comfortable enough to share certain things. You don't have to push yourself in order to share your story. Other than that I think you are good to go! I can't wait to see what your final piece is like! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really excited to read your project. It really interests me about the stories of others, not because mine is not so, but it is because I then know that I am not the only one that has had to overcome obstacles in my life. It comforts me to know that I am not the only one who has had struggles with different categories in life; and that may be, perhaps, we have gone through the same obstacles. I agree that Dorothy Allison’s memoir really did open my eyes and touched me in a way that no other book ever has. I am the opposite though, that reading hasn’t always been my forte, however when I can read a book in one night, it has to be one that I cannot put down. Dorothy Allison’s memoir did just that for me. It saddens me to hear the things that she had to go through as a child, but at the same time I could relate to her pain. The differences between siblings and at the end finding out that it wasn’t even everything that you thought it was. In many ways I found myself relating to different issues that Dorothy Allison dealt with on a regular basis.
    If bearing your own story is too much at this time, then go ahead and blend the voices together to make one big voice telling the story. I really enjoy researching new things, researching my own story….I already know what happened, but to research others and what they went through is amazing to me. So go ahead and have with it and I look forward to reading your project and what you have come you have come up with. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete